Is it typical/ethical/acceptable for social workers to be foster parents?
I ask because my interest in social work came from my desire to be a foster parents. I hope I don't have to give that up.
I've never come across a social worker who had foster kids...
I am a social worker and I am a foster carer. I see them as completely separate roles. I foster for the local area I live in and I work for a different local authority. I work in the field of mental health and I foster 5-11 year olds. I never had a second thought as to whether what I do is 'ethical'. I don't see why I shouldn't be able to offer a safe environment for a child in my own home. In some ways, it has been very useful and enlightening dealing with social workers 'from the other side'. I think it also improves my practice having to 'use' social work services myself as I am more mindful of the thin lines that exist between service provider and service user. The fact that one of my best friends works in a fostering team (not the same one that I foster with) has been very useful for me to know what to expect.
ReplyDeleteI was just coming over to mention you, cb. :) I personally know of other social workers who are foster carers.
ReplyDeleteI don't know any personally, but have heard of several in the blogging world. I would think it would be perfectly acceptable provided you were licensed under a different agency than the one you worked for so there is no potential conflict of interest.
ReplyDeleteI did both at the same time. But I was not a social worker with just one specific agency, I was on a task force that covered several different counties. It was tricky because of that, but we made it work. I did have to sign an agreement with the agency that held our foster parent license though, spelling out every scenario that might come up.
ReplyDelete