Saturday, February 13, 2010

Snow Day!!

The office closed at 3 yesterday afternoon.  We didn't get much snow, but it was enough for us to close :)

This week was good. I'm enjoying my time with DFCS more and more. Scarlet & I are really good friends now, so the time passes quickly. The "real" social workers are used to having us around and have faith in our abilities now so we get to do more.

This week the foster care unit had "Filing Day" Let me tell you how fun that is! ...oh yeah, it's not!  LOL.

Scarlet & I were also able to sit in on a family closing meeting. It was a mom with 5 kids. DFCS became involved because of DV and drug use.  It was a happy meeting.  The mom was really close to her current case manager and seemed like she was going to have a hard time with her case closing. Not something you might expect with DFCS. The meeting was a bit crazy because her 4 youngest (ages 4 & under) were there and they were wild! 

It was interesting to see all her agency workers helping her to come up with support plans and plans in case she relapsed.  It's good in theory, but I do wonder how much these things help when things do get bad.

I've been busy with a lot of documentation from shadowing on visits, follow up calls to schools, doctors, etc (asking them to fax records, asking them if we could please get the records we asked for 1 month ago, etc), collateral phone calls... 

I'm feeling better about DFCS and possibly working for them after graduation (thanks SocialWrk24/7). I guess I have good days and bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment